Hi All

I'm a regular user of Cashel/Winston/East Terrace into the city. I noticed that Mitcham Council is constructing protuberances at Ayers Ave, Kingston Ave and Caufield Ave and made some equiries. Winston its a decent route for southerners with slowish traffic even though cyclists content with parked vehicles, roundabouts and limited bike lanes.

In many situations the parking lane serves as a makeshift bikelane. I enquired to ward Councillors and Council staff indicated the protuberances will effectively be the same width as the parking lane for pedestrian crossing safety therefore closing off this option. It put to me that the lane is usually full of cars anyway and will be of little impact to cyclists. Protuburances are a pet hate of mine... I was also advised the standard lane width of 3.7m does not require bike lanes according to Australian standards.

Obviously I am of the opinion there should be an overarching strategic plan for this route so these sort of things get designed better (and bike lanes).

Anyway, the point of all this? I wanted to see what other users of Winston Ave thought. I reckon Mitcham has some work to do. Is there a BUG down that way?

Cheers

Views: 358

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used to cycle that way though not any more (I follow the Marino Bikeway instead now). 

I googled "protuberance" and got pictures of skulls. But I assume you mean like the thing on the left in this picture, breaking up the parking lane:

I guess my questions are: (eventually to Mitcham Council, but maybe someone here can help first):

* Do protruberances really help pedestrians? If cars are there anyway, they're no help. If cars aren't there, then they're helping pedestrians but hindering cyclists.

* Are they widely used by pedestrians? And how do those numbers compare with the number of cyclists? 

* Or in summary: Are they a widely (or even narrowly) accepted "good practice" in road design?

Yep thats a small example of one. Here's an example from Princes Rd, Mitcham. I'm guessing the rationale is reducing the crossing distance and providing better visibility, but it also creates pinch points. I cant comment whether its good practice, but it is a standard practice.

I actually don't mind them and Winston would be a great opportunity for more traffic calming measures backed up with perhaps a 40kmph speed limit. As you state its a very attractive cycling boulevard as it is, despite the patchy and substandard bikelanes (ie below minimum width).

In the example above I would take the lane well in advance, but appreciate this doesn't suit learner of more hesitant riders.

My biggest issue with Winston is crossing it on a bike. I've honestly lost count the number of times I would have been cleaned up at the roundabouts had I not reacted and given way to vehicles that in theory are meant to wait for me. A large portion of drivers fail to slow down or even turn their head to look.

Gday Rob, I reckon I saw you at the XC race the other week.

If it was part of a wider traffic calming measure I'd be less concerned, but I dont think theres any move to slow things down. I guess we'll see how they work once they're in for a while.

Yes, I've also had roundabout issues - people even try mid roundabout and pass unless you take the lane early.

Yep that was probably me, my first XC race!

Afraid I dislike the protuberances immensely as are very anti cyclist. I feel we should object strongly.
I don't believe they have anything to do with pedestrians crossing but were originally intended to stop vehicles driving in the parking lane/shoulder and to act as a form of traffic calming to make the road narrower. What they do is create a pinch point, forcing slower users to move into the traffic lane and into the path of fast moving cars & trucks.Slower users include bikes, gophers, prams, trikes & even pedestrians where the footpath is in a poor state or even absent.
A compromise I have seen is where the protuberances don't go all the way out but stop perhaps 450mm short eg Victor Harbor Rd in Middleton. Better but not best.
I think the best trafic calming is heaps of cyclists using the route :-)

There isn't an active BUG for Mitcham that I know of, though we'd certainly love there to be one.  There's one listed in the groups here on AC that's been in name only, Nick who initiated that moved interstate just after (I'm now in Campbelltown).  It is a start-from-scratch exercise that needs a helpful contact on Council staff and/or an empathetic Councillor.  The Bicycle Institute will offer support to anyone able to take it on.

Really, to start (or restart) a BUG someone - it can be a single person - just needs to to establish a profile as 'Mitcham BUG'. A good start would be to simply start a facebook group called the 'MitchamBUG'! You don't need a website per se - the PortBUG has it's website only because I (web person) had an unhealthy interest in learning a bit about Wordpress! Since starting the PortBUG's f/b Group - the Port Adelaide Bicycle Forum - I've almost become a f/b convert! Your BUG members can just be those who sign up to follow the group. Down the track as momentum and interest builds, you could even start to have a few meetings and maybe start to have a look at Mitcham's progress with its bike plan (if they have one...) Step by step! I have no doubt that there will be people on Mitcham Council's staff who would be willing to act as contact people on bicycle matters! I'n currently drafting a 'how to...' guide for starting and running a BUG. Just one person's/BUG's p.o.v but it may be useful to someone... Sam 

Thanks, I might set something something up and gauge interest.Perhaps as a separate thread I'd be interested to know people's experiences as BUGs and how effective they have been.

I would also be interested to see your 'how to guide'. I was trying to track down Mitcham's plan - it looks like they once had/were going to have a cycling plan but there's not trace of it now. Apparently there should also be an integrated transport plan, but I can't find any links to that either.  

Dave I have engaged and had discussions with more than a few Mitcham Councillors regarding bicycle infrastructure and my issues as a cyclist and been more than impressed with their willingness to listen and act. Yes there is a clear split with many who view cycling as you describe (including the mayor) and this has caused a number of frustrations. Please understand there are some really strong ambassadors and ears within council chambers and hopefully we can maintain these names and add a few more pro cycling Councillors in the next election cycle. I would also add Mitcham have been really strong in planning and developing sustainable mountain bike trails (yes it could be argued 20 years too late, but credit where its due).

Please do not forget that easy to start a webpage for a group on Adelaide Cyclists forum.
Some groups and organisations use more than one online presence.

These protuberances have always been a pet dislike of mine along with most bollards, but that's another subject, they are both anti cyclist. There are many of these (waste of concrete) things also on most roads down around Hallett Cove, Kingston Park area that, drive me nuts , , and out into the traffic coming from behind. 

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2018   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service