Hi Bicycle Users,

We’ve heard that a new State Bike Plan may soon be coming down the path! It will replace 'Safety in Numbers’ which ran its course in 2010! The Bicycle Institute is now looking for your ideas for potential 'new Greenways' for submission to a renewed State Bike Plan. Can you help? Read on for more information....

You may recall that 'Safety in Numbers’ outlined an Adelaide Greenway Network in a map which - 12 years later - is now starting to take shape.

This initial map included routes that are now familiar to many such as the Mike Turtur and Outer Harbor Greenways. They tend to follow Adelaide’s tram and rail lines, making use of the 'railway boulevards', existing greenspace, local roads and occasionally even bits of rail and tram reserve!

Adelaide’s arterial roads act as major barriers to people dependent on walking, cycling and mobility devices. Greenways aim to overcome these barriers and allow bicycle users in particular to:
• avoid arterial roads and the hazards of heavy traffic
• provide safe crossings at main roads
• provide short-cuts and faster, more efficient and pleasant cycling routes.

The trouble is that in spatial terms, Adelaide is a large city divided up by many busy arterial roads! The Greenway routes mapped out in 2005 didn’t do a lot to assist cyclists in the north and east of the city, nor indeed in most of the outer suburbs. A Greenway Network for a city of Adelaide’s size will require many more major bicycle 'trunk routes' than the six or so identified in the initial 2005 map! And they'll need to connect outer suburbs and not just all point at the Adelaide CBD!

We want to see a vision for a Comprehensive Greenway Network in the new State Bike Plan - one that will facilitate easy and safe bicycle access for everyone – ‘8 to 80 years of age’ - right across the Adelaide Metro Area!

To accomplish this will require cyclists - you and me - to identify every available opportunity we can for potential new Greenways and ’trunk’ bikeway routes. No matter how short or how long. Government can’t do it – we have to!

These new routes do not have to be long - they could include links and pathways:
• using unused drainage or plantation reserves
• along unused sections of railway reserve
alongside major and hazardous arterial roads (including improvement of under-utilised footpaths!)
• use of pipeline reserves or local parks linking local networks and by-passing intersections.

You know your local cycling environment best! You know the unused or underutilised infrastructure. Drainage, rail and pipeline reserves, footpaths, quiet, dead-end streets backing on to parks and reserves. Things that prompt questions like… ’this could be better’ or… ‘why can’t I ride down there’?

Here’s you chance! Please let us know:
• where you think a new stretch of Greenway or bikeway would be useful?
• what existing space or reserve exists that might do the trick?
• where the new Greenway route could start and finish?
• how it would be used & how it would improve your cycling?
and…what youwant to call your 'new Greenway route'?

Email BISA at chair@bisa.asn.auor PortBUG at portadbug@gmail.comor…
…reply below to this ‘New Greenways?’ post or at BISA's facebook page.

Please let us know your hopes and dreams for new Greenways and Bikeways across Adelaide!" There’s no time limit to this ‘8-80 Project’ so… keep riding, looking and thinking!

Views: 744

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All of these little things do help! It can be scary crossings or poor intersection experiences that turn people off riding.

Another little thing with big impact is wayfinding.  I hadn't realised its importance until Unley council implemented a council-wide wayfinding signage system in the past year. It just makes riding around on safe(r) routes so much less stressful, and the signs are very easy to read. If only this were rolled out across Adelaide so we could navigate along the routes across all councils! Come to think of it, that would be amazing.

"Looking at the proposals for the Regency Park section of the Gawler Greenway (with on-road bike lane shared with the main truck access to Cooper's brewery), we are already seeing some compromises."

Paul, are you referring to the route along Narweena Drive here? If so it's worth noting that this section of roadway with a bike-lane will be accompanied by a stretch of new off-road shared-use pathway to be built and funded by PA/E Council. We are yet to talk details with PA/E but this may resolve issues that cause you concern adjacent to the brewery...

I agree with Paul's sentiments above about a fine grained network. An intiative to create 24 hour bike lanes and connect all the disparate bike infrastructure would go a long way to making a difference in Adelaide. I'd like to see an intiative to phase out Adelaide's infamous 'END Bike Lane' / 7-9am situations which leave cyclists fending for themselves. Clear fit-for-purpose traffic signals and signage and properly designed bike lanes and pathways which recognise the needs of users who actually need to go somewhere etc..  

This is not to diminish the importance of greeways / green routes, but once you roll off a greenway, the secondary network is just as important.

Agreed 100%

Sam,

The problem with this is that the 2-tier provision just ends up with 2 lots of sub-standard provision.  Shared use is very often just a footpath with a fancy name, and the junctions are always rubbish.  Paint on a road shared with trucks is then only necessary because the separated infrastructure is so poor that road bikers and the fitter commuters won't use it.  The Dutch and the Danes don't do 2-tier provision.  They do it once, in a way that at its best accommodates TDF wannabes & small children alike.

Much better to build a proper cycleway along this stretch, and allow pedestrians to use it if there isn't enough volume for a separate path (there isn't - I used to walk to work along there - I was always alone).

Paul

Well put - we'll communicate that sentiment to PA/E and see what they say!

Some sort of alternative to Old Belair Road - most likely through Randell Park to Burnell Drive (or possibly up from Weemala Drive, though that looks steeper). I know this has come up before and Mitcham Council has rejected it, but that doesn't mean to not keep asking. I suspect it's too much money for a council and will need State or Federal money, but it'd still be a fraction of the cost of widening Old Belair Road.

Access to Burnell from the existing MTB trail network in Randell is the first step. I contacted the council to find out when they will present the options for southern access to the trail network (currently only access via Northern Torrens park side and Old Belair rd) and they indicated they hoped to present it to elected members this month. While I don't know what the recommendations will be for certain, I suspect it will be access via Burnell which is currently walking only. I suspect if this is proposed there will be a big resident backlash so the cycling community will need to be ready to fight and throw our support behind it.

For me, the simplest rebuttal to residents' objections would be to point to the top of the Lynton Path, at High Street, Belair. Are noisy cyclists disrupting the lives of the residents of High Street? Somehow I doubt it.

The issue on Burnell has a bit of history, for years there were confrontations with downhill riders and using that entrance to access the then illegal downhill trails. I believe the basis for their argument is the narrow steep section of road towards the bottom  is dangerous for both up and downhill riders. My initial response would be its no less (and I suspect much more so) safe than old Belair or James rd, and that riding up Burnell at this crest is no different than me walking my dog up this crest. In each scenario I need to walk on the road and the car needs to wait to pass safely. Yet one is deemed acceptable, the other is not. Its possible this may never eventuate, (ie the recommendation could be elsewhere or the residents may not object) but I suspect its the most likely course of action. The other scenario is council hears the recommendation and immediately rejects it when told the cost to upgrade that section of path between the Randell X-over track and Burnell.

Does Mitcham Council have a Bike Plan and is this sort of bike access covered by it? All I could find at their site was a draft Integrated Transport Plan... A Bike Plan confers considerable legitimacy to such projects and can also deal with many of the questions that tend to congeal as 'opposition'...

Yes I made some enquiries to Sam Duluk (state mp) awhile back, he passed them on to Glen Spear (mayor) and he directed me to the "Integrated Transport Plan" being developed. Have to assume that's it.

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2018   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service