There's a report going up to a Council committee on Tuesday presenting the options for Frome Street.  BISA has extracted the report from the agenda document and has put it on it's website.  (It's still about 6MB, but has pictures of the options.) 

http://bicycleinstitutesa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/201611-ACC...

(I don't have much luck with links, but you can find a post about it on the bisa home page.)

The favoured option for the new bit, between Pirie and North Terrace, is for a "Copenhagen" style separated bike lane that's halfway between road height and footpath height, 2m wide. The kerb would be about 5cm high, so if cambered a bit you could ride quite close to it without striking your pedal.

The preferred option for the existing bit (south of Pirie) is to reduce the existing width from 2.7m to 2m, but this time still with the 10cm high kerbs, so would be effectively narrower. Probably not wide enough to overtake, so you'd be stuck behind slow cyclists.  The report tells council that the proposed design won't meet existing capacity standards for peak periods.

Probably better to stick to the road.

They also propose a shared use path for the new bit along Le Fevre Terrace.  I know the Lord Mayor already gets a lot of complaints from pedestrians and cyclists complaining about the other on shared use paths.  He's obviously a glutton for punishment, especially it is designed to be used by school kids accessing the new high school on Frome Road.

The good news is that the report is only for putting stuff out to consultation.  We've been told we'll be able to try the different options at a site in the parklands.

Does anyone know of any other council anywhere in the world that had put in and then taken out a separated bike lane twice?  I think that record of incompetence justifies the State government taking over, especially given it's the centre of the state we are talking about, and given that Council is going against the advice it has commissioned.

Views: 8312

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It used to be the case that temporary infrastructure in SA was only an accidental thing, for example the new Oaklands Railway Station opened in mid 2008 and about to be replaced.

But now, using temporary infrastructure deliberately seems to be a thing - see the various North-South Corridor works and the plan for the Oaklands Crossing grade separation work to involve continued train service using temporary tracks. So I would elevate the chance from 'none' to 'low.'

That is an excellent suggestion!

One thing that impressed me was the way they seem to have recreated the same feel as I experienced in the Netherlands. There was a low kerb between the roadway and the differently surfaced bike lane, with another small kerb to the footpath. This made a place for everything and made each user feel comfortable in their own space.

Is this thing finished yet? Havent seen any "grand Opening" media releases.

Its great to see the "no parking during peak hours" signs back up again. I cant believe the council take them down after the V8 race leaves town.

All is quiet on the Frome front, but perhaps not for long?

The Your Future Adelaide site claims the next section, from Grenfell St to Rundle St, will commence construction this month. We can hope!

It makes sense to build it now while the new highrise apartments is reducing traffic in the next section.

Wouldn't all the work stop them getting access to the footpath ?  Last week the eastside footpath and northbound traffic were diverted onto the east side of the road. By the look of all the construction to protect the pedestrians it's going to stay that way for awhile. 

that work is in the rundle/north terrace section. the new bike lane section will be Grenfell / rundle

Ah thanks. Sorry I was confused!

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2018   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service