There's a report going up to a Council committee on Tuesday presenting the options for Frome Street.  BISA has extracted the report from the agenda document and has put it on it's website.  (It's still about 6MB, but has pictures of the options.) 

http://bicycleinstitutesa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/201611-ACC...

(I don't have much luck with links, but you can find a post about it on the bisa home page.)

The favoured option for the new bit, between Pirie and North Terrace, is for a "Copenhagen" style separated bike lane that's halfway between road height and footpath height, 2m wide. The kerb would be about 5cm high, so if cambered a bit you could ride quite close to it without striking your pedal.

The preferred option for the existing bit (south of Pirie) is to reduce the existing width from 2.7m to 2m, but this time still with the 10cm high kerbs, so would be effectively narrower. Probably not wide enough to overtake, so you'd be stuck behind slow cyclists.  The report tells council that the proposed design won't meet existing capacity standards for peak periods.

Probably better to stick to the road.

They also propose a shared use path for the new bit along Le Fevre Terrace.  I know the Lord Mayor already gets a lot of complaints from pedestrians and cyclists complaining about the other on shared use paths.  He's obviously a glutton for punishment, especially it is designed to be used by school kids accessing the new high school on Frome Road.

The good news is that the report is only for putting stuff out to consultation.  We've been told we'll be able to try the different options at a site in the parklands.

Does anyone know of any other council anywhere in the world that had put in and then taken out a separated bike lane twice?  I think that record of incompetence justifies the State government taking over, especially given it's the centre of the state we are talking about, and given that Council is going against the advice it has commissioned.

Views: 7537

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well... there's no separation or green paint there. Possibly an honest mistake, made easier to do by confusing signage.

Yep, that's why unbroken solid reinforced metre tall concrete barriers are the only real protection from moron motorists.

Just out of curiosity, was the car turning left or right into the road?

It was travelling north along Frome, I was travelling south. They did a right hand turn and had to stop to avoid running over me.

The lane looks very narrow outside the Mantra/Andre's Cucina, presumably for guests arriving/leaving the hotel by taxi with luggage.

Interesting. Shouldn't be a huge hassle for that small area. It's much better than riding on the road-side of cars dropping people off anyway, and worrying about the doors!

RSS

MidSeason wk20 - 120x600

Support our Sponsors

© 2017   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service