A facebook page “drivers for registration of cyclists” is getting a lot of coverage lately. They are at the moment campaigning through change.org to make it compulsory for cyclists to ride single file. As usual, this type of campaign attracts non-cyclists and anti-cyclists, but it is moderated to some extent by someone who prefers to remain anonymous.

While I have some sympathy for some of the things they say, most of their arguments are spurious and easy to refute by anyone with any knowledge or experience of cycling or road safety.

Have a look and see what you think.

Views: 1746

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well said Sam. Just ride, be happy, be respectful of other road (and footpath) users and enjoy.

You register the cyclist.  So yes I guess that could be called a license.  But it will be a license that you need to display to pander to the "we can't identify them, red light cameras can't identify them, police can't identify them whinge ..."   So over a certain age you are required to pay a registration / license fee and wear a flouro-vest with your number on it which I guess you have purchased as part of your registration fee.  Well at least that is the kind of thing I've seen suggested.  I agree it seems a very unlikely thing to ever occur.  Has it even been suggested by even the looniest ends of Australian politics ? 

I can't find it now but I'm pretty sure Derryn Hinch has called for registration of cyclists. I don't know if he's ever gone into detail.

You might recall an AC post where the words ‘cyclists’ and ‘drivers’ were exchanged, to show some transport myths are absurd. My post is definitely satirical. Includes some references.

NEW RULES FOR ALL PEDESTRIANS?
The Australian Road Rules pertain to roads and road-related areas, and includes footpaths, public carparks and road shoulders. The many vehicle occupants become pedestrians when they alight from vehicles. Pedestrians include users of child strollers, mobility scooters (motorised wheelchairs) and any wheeled device that is not a bicycle. There are more pedestrians than cyclists in the CBD, as well as the Adelaide Greater Metro area. 

Rabid drivers will support mandatory pedestrian registration, plus wearing of numbered vests. Rabid drivers will also support increased taxes to pay for extra govt staff (registrar, police, courts). Fortunately not all drivers are rabid and hold illogical views about transport. 

All pedestrians will be registered and required to wear a hi-vis vest with number.
There are more footpaths than bicycle lanes, thus more spent on pedestrian footpaths, so the pedestrian fee will be higher than any cyclist fee.
Hi-vis vests for all pedestrian to reduce casualties of deaths and injuries. See reference below.
Each vest numbered to identify pedestrians who break the road rules, e.g. walk on don’t walk, jaywalk, or even worse use bicycle lanes and bicycle paths.
In a public carpark (e.g. shopping centre, train station, university) every pedestrian will wear their numbered hi-vis vest between a vehicle and their destination. Parents will love fitting numbered hi-vis vests to their squirming toddlers and babies.
If a pedestrian uses public transport, they will wear their numbered vest when walking to the bus stop, in the train station carpark when alighting from a vehicle, when crossing a public carpark at a shopping centre, and when walking along the footpath of a shopping strip.
Pedestrians are not permitted on roads with higher speed limits. So if a flat tyre or similar during a country trip, no person will exit the vehicle (and thus become a pedestrian) to deal with the emergency.
It would be easier if every Australian given an identification number upon birth, to wear at all times on roads and road-related areas.

South Australian pedestrian casualties per year, averaged over the five years 2012–2016.
Fatalities 14; serious injuries 68; minor injuries 241.
Fact sheet: Pedestrians involved in road crashes in South Australia
Published by DPTI in Oct-2017
dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/247331/Pedestrians_-_Roa...

South Australian cycling casualties per year, averaged over the five years 2012–2016.
Fatalities 4; serious injuries 66; minor injuries 489.
Fact sheet: Cyclists involved in road crashes in South Australia
Published by DPTI in Oct-2017
dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/85395/Cycling_fact_sheet...

Is Australia too soft on jaywalking pedestrians?
Chinese authorities use facial recognition and public shaming to crack down on jaywalking and stealing toilet paper
Published by ABC News on 20-Mar-2018
www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-20/china-deploys-ai-cameras-to-tackle-jaywalkers-in-shenzhen/9567430
Pedestrians caught jaywalking have their photographs, names and ID numbers instantly displayed on LED screens installed at road junctions.

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2018   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service