A facebook page “drivers for registration of cyclists” is getting a lot of coverage lately. They are at the moment campaigning through change.org to make it compulsory for cyclists to ride single file. As usual, this type of campaign attracts non-cyclists and anti-cyclists, but it is moderated to some extent by someone who prefers to remain anonymous.

While I have some sympathy for some of the things they say, most of their arguments are spurious and easy to refute by anyone with any knowledge or experience of cycling or road safety.

Have a look and see what you think.

Views: 1746

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well if you really want to go off line with regard to FB then work out what your "hosts" file is:

Windows: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Mac: /etc/hosts

Then add the few above lines to it with notepad or whatever simple text editor you have. On my Mac I use nano in a terminal. Frankly, I am probably leaking info to FB as those few lines no doubt need adding to!! I will leave that to the gentle reader to research ;-)

For further info on this type "use hosts file to block facebook" into google and follow instructions - added plus - you can stop a lot of crap stuff such as doubleclick et. al. as well. Check out - "hosts file to stop ads" and other pertinant variants. It *will* stop those pesky FB trackers across sites - your PC just won't know where FB is :-)

Of course if you want to look at some FB thingo - you can't, unless you undo the above changes - or run a VM machine or have another PC open to FB...

Agree completely. It's free speech, not hate speech.

Rather than calling for censorship, better to either come up with a better opposing argument or exercise the right to be offended.

Free speech?

Yep.

Nothing stopping you from exercising the exact same right.

Thought of another reason why some male drivers might hate cyclists – jealousy. A non-cyclist talked about the bike education class at her child’s school. She and other mothers admired an attractively fit male instructor in lycra. So flabby driver, get some cycling exercise, and your wife and you might enjoy the change.

I suspect these motorists rate their attractiveness by the loudness of their motors and can't understand why their wives are looking the other way!

I walked into a Holden dealership yesterday.... (no that's not the start of a joke, or perhaps it is)

We've owned 3 Opel Astra so if I do buy a new car, Holden it is. Since they've finally decided to replace the Commodore with a decent car, I am considering stepping up.... and I think that's all the sales guy heard despite during the whole visit telling him about three times the size of engine doesn't interest me. But they did start a VXR for me, and it does sound loud (no idea what the engine is). I don't think my wife has looked at me though since I told her we might step up (she decides on the colour and she's taken a liking to a colour that's available on the Astra but not on the Commodore).

so perhaps it was a joke.

I don't have facebook and don't pretend to know what is being said. Probably coincidence and not connected but I have noticed people shouting out from cars lately which is something which I had felt had tapered off, probably due to increasing cameras.

It is worrying that there are people who don't appear to accept cyclists as road users. This is evident from the behaviour of a minority of motorists and I'm guessing these are the sorts of people who are vocal critics of cycling on social media.

Knowing it is pointless to try and argue with people who have unreasonable and fixed opinions, I have just reconciled to keep riding, legally and safely. I hope that this will demonstrate that we are not going away and will expect to be respected, whilst respecting pedestrians and other road users.

Anyway, I thought some people might be interested in signing the petition to stop this anti-cycling propaganda that has 50,000 followers.

Incidentally, their own petition calling on compulsory single file and a cycling ban on roads over 80kph has collected almost 27,000 signatures in just 2 months.

As the saying goes: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing".

Just exercising my freedom of speech.

No cycling where speed limit over 80 km/h?
So the illogical drivers want to stop:
-- riding to Victor Harbor
-- bicycle transport where cyclist lives in the country within 10 km of a town
-- cycle-tourism, e.g. Australians and overseas visitors riding from Darwin to Adelaide
-- training rides of world-recognised Australian athletes
-- etc.

Actually, both petitions are completely equal in the aspect which really matters. 

Hi Bill,

I note the concerns expressed here about the numbers of 'followers' this 'drivers for registration' page apparently has and about possibly 'closing it down'. Personally I wouldn't bother with either question for one moment. For a number or reasons.

First, registration/licensing of bicycle users (or for that matter, bikes) is a physical, financial, legislative and political impossibility in Australia, and - if evidence matters at all - just about everywhere else in the world! Bike riders own multiple bikes which may or may not get constantly rebuilt. Which bit of the bike do you register? How do you reference the registration - serial number on the frame? What happens when I bust the frame and get a new one? And so on... Do you charge registration bike-by-bike? Do I have to pay more just because I have multiple bikes? Do I buy one licence plate and swap it from bike to bike as needed? Do I have my bike registration on my helmet?

In which case it sounds much more like a 'licence to ride'! If we licence individual bicycle users, at what age do we stipulate they take out (and maybe pay for) a licence? On what grounds do we confer a licence? At what age (and on what grounds) can their licence be removed? How do we write legislation so that it doesn't disadvantage children, those with disabilities and other special groups? How do you justify charging a nation of work-a-holic slobs for participating in the single most effective and accessible exercise option available to them? How do you deal with the hundreds of counter arguments that will be raised by every health authority, bike group, heart foundation and insurance company in the nation? Etc, etc etc...

All road rules in Australia are state-based and agreed to at a regular national meeting of transport authorities to ensure as much agreement as possible across state borders. Do the nongs behind this f/b page actually believe that their puerile and utterly juvenile on-line maunderings are going to persuade cash-strapped and beleaguered state governments to invest scarce funds in the bottomless (and thankless) legislative, enforcement and political pit that either bike registration or cyclist licence would become? It's a complete dead-end that only the most cerebrally inert politician might respond to!

Even the notion of ensuring groups of bicycle users ride single-file is pointless. Such matters are already largely covered by ARRules which, as we know are difficult enough to enforce as they are!

Considering this it should be obvious that this is just another one of those echo chambers that the social psychologists studying the internet seem so fascinated with. It's a dead-end for the participants simply because it won't take them anywhere. Except a little further up where the sun don't shine! The mobile phone has a lot to answer for 'cause it gives such people a framework for exercising their egoism & fantasies! That's it! That's all that's happening here. It's not going anywhere at all. It's just more background noise in a noisy universe. Not even worth being offended by!

Sam.

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2018   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service