I'm not sure if anyone can help or not but I need content for a cycling presentation for work. Over the years I have read so many great research articles here and on other sites but (stupidly) did not save them. and unfortunately the search functions on these sites are to primitive to find what I need.

does anyone have access to the report that states;

how much it cost per km to drive and how much the government saves when you ride?

below is a "copy and paste of collected info" so far... if anyone has anything else I should add please let me know.

happy to share the final presentation with verbal notes here afterwards for anyone else to use.

background - at my work we do 20 min talks each week on what interests us most. 

Slide 1

Image: quote

“Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.” H. G. Wells

Introduction

Slide 2 -Increase your brain power

Image: Einstein on bike

improvement of up to 15 percent in mental tests
Bike riding requires more simultaneous brain functions than simply running or other forms of exercise.

Slide 3 - Make creative breakthroughs

Writers, musicians, artists, top executives and all kinds of other professionals use exercise to solve mental blocks and make decisions — including Jeremy Paxman, Sir Alan Sugar and Spandau Ballet.

A study found that just 25 minutes of aerobic exercise boosts at least one measure of creative thinking. Credit goes to the flow of oxygen to your grey matter when it matters most, sparking your neurons and giving you breathing space away from the muddle and pressures of ‘real life’.

Slide 4 - personal costs

Slide 5 - Government cost
Driving a car costs the government  17 per kilometer
Cycling saves 18 per kilometer

The economy benefits by more than $21 every time a person cycles 20 minutes to work and back and $8.50 each time a person walks 20 minutes to and from work, according to a policy statement released by Deputy Prime Minister Anthony Albanese on Tuesday.

A bicycle path costs only about $1.5 million a kilometre to plan and build.

Slide 6 - cancer risk

The study, published on Thursday in the BMJ, found that compared to "a non-active commute", riding a bike to work was associated with a 45 percent lower risk of cancer and a 46 percent lower risk of heart disease.

In a news release on Thursday, the university said that the data of more than 264,000 people from the U.K. Biobank project was assessed, with participants asked about the way they went to work and contact maintained with them for five years.

Beat illness

Is cycling good for you? Yes! Forget apples, riding’s the way to keep the doctor at bay. “Moderate exercise makes immune cells more active, so they’re ready to fight off infection,” says Cath Collins, chief dietician at St George’s Hospital in London.

In fact, according to research from the University of North Carolina, people who cycle for 30 minutes, five days a week take about half as many sick days as couch potatoes.

Slide 7 - Space in carpark

Twenty bicycles can be parked in the same space as one car. It takes around five percent of the materials and energy used to make a car to build a bike, and a bike produces zero pollution.

Bikes are efficient, too — you travel around three times as fast as walking for the same amount of energy and, taking into account the ‘fuel’ you put in your ‘engine’, you do the equivalent of 2,924 miles to the gallon.

You have your weight ratio to thank: you’re about six times heavier than your bike, but a car is 20 times heavier than you.

Slide 8 - food intake

1030 kj for 20 min ride

600ml Bottle

Riding in a car or truck

Slide 9 - Cycling improves your sex life

Being more physically active improves your vascular health, which has the knock-on effect of boosting your sex drive, according to health experts in the US. One study from Cornell University also concluded that male athletes have the sexual prowess of men two to five years younger, with physically fit females delaying the menopause by a similar amount of time.

Meanwhile, research carried out at Harvard University found that men aged over 50 who cycle for at least three hours a week have a 30 percent lower risk of impotence than those who do little exercise.

Slide 10 - Your boss will love you

No, we don’t mean your Lycra-clad buttocks will entice your superiors into a passionate office romance, but they’ll appreciate what cycling does for your usefulness to the company.

A study of 200 people carried out by the University of Bristol found that employees who exercised before work or at lunchtime improved their time and workload management, and it boosted their motivation and their ability to deal with stress.

The study also reported that workers who exercised felt their interpersonal performance was better, they took fewer breaks and found it easier to finish work on time. Sadly, the study didn’t find a direct link between cycling and getting a promotion.

Slide 11 - Avoid inhaling pollution

You’d think a city cyclist would suck up much more pollution than the drivers and passengers in the vehicles chucking out the noxious gases. Not so, according to a study carried out by Imperial College London.

Researchers found that passengers in buses, taxis and cars inhaled substantially more pollution than cyclists and pedestrians.

On average, taxi passengers were exposed to more than 100,000 ultrafine particles — which can settle in the lungs and damage cells — per cubic centimetre. Bus passengers sucked up just under 100,000 and people in cars inhaled about 40,000.

Cyclists, meanwhile, were exposed to just 8,000 ultrafine particles per cubic centimetre. It’s thought that cyclists breathe in fewer fumes because we ride at the edge of the road and, unlike drivers, aren’t directly in the line of exhaust smoke.

Views: 174

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Some stuff in a recent article in The Guardian 

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/mar/08/cycling-keeps-...

Very thorough and not much to add. BUT fix the Americanised spelling ("kilometer") unless it's a quote.

I see "personal cost" is empty. It shouldn't be hard to do some calculations to show that driving doesn't make economic sense. What tipped me to cycling to work full time was the cost, especially (lack of) cheap parking where I work now, in the city. Previously I worked out of the city and the combination of free parking and a relatively easy drive (I could at least avoid the inner city traffic jams) made driving my default (with the occasional ride). In the city, those advantages both disappear and I can't justify driving. Factor in time to exercise, and I'm actually winning on both cost and time.

You may also want to point out that in SA, bicycles can go on trains (at the cost of a concession ticket) so at least for people who currently commute by train, a cycling/train mix can be preferable to train only; and/or a nice way to ease into it.

Oh and one very minor and light hearted point: surely there are better examples than Spandau Ballet... ones that have achieved something in the last 30 years :)

Hi,

If you go to PortBUG's website and look under the Links tab you'll see a link to the Aust Bicycle Council. Go there and check out their Resources pages - they have really great 'facts and figures' compilations organised by themes.

While you are there also check out the European Bicycle Federation link - they also have great Resources pages with exactly the info you are after.

Sam

Another link for factsheets
Australian Cycling Promotion Foundation (previously the Cycling Promotion Fund)
https://www.cyclingpromotion.org

...Also try to check out some of Dr/Prof Chris Rissel's articles on both cycling health and what it takes to get people on their bikes etc (he's from Sydney so Australian perspective - he's written over 200 articles on the subject!),  Sam. 

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2018   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service