I am thinking of running for election to the Campbelltown Council in 2018 to be a voice for cycling in the Campbelltown area.

What do people think?

Views: 98

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds good, but make sure you have good policies on other issues since cycling is not the sort of single issue campaign that would get you enough votes to get on there.

Also, research the history of the current council with respect to cycling issues and make sure you won't be splitting the vote of those councillors who have been good voices for cycling on the council already.

Good luck!

I second that! Don't be a one-trick pony. I've seen a lot of wannabees stand up with just one issue and fail miserably. Another thing you need to consider real hard is something that I was asked before the 2012 QLD local elections. Quite a few people around me were gearing up to run & I was in a conversation with someone I asked if they would run and they asked me the same question, with the added Q of whether I was willing to have my face in the paper every week and being criticised every other week. As that person's response to those questions was both NO, they did not run.

Having said that, having a stand on economic development (ED), or economic growth (EG) always goes down well, especially with the business community. I know for a fact that Campelltown is somewhat on the back foot in this regard, and my guess is they will continue to be into the foreseeable future. But if cycling will be your focal point, I suggest linking it to the wider area's tourism & business strategy. A good start is the ERA EDS

http://www.campbelltown.sa.gov.au/webdata/resources/minutesAgendas/...

From there, I suggest getting acquainted with the economic benefits of cycling, I posted a British report here that will get you started https://adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/future-of-on-road-car-par...

Other suggestions would be to take every comment on this forum and turn it into policy! Be a leader in Australia for cycling!

Yes do it!! I live in the council area and there is plenty of room on council for some pro bikers that is for sure. It is true though, you will need to run on a number of issues that aren't cycling related.

I have lived in this area since 1986 and was a member of the Rotary Club for 10 years so I know the area well and have many other non-cycling ideas for the area!

Absolutely go for it! I've got friends in Campbelltown - I'll let them know.

RSS

MidSeason wk20 - 120x600

Support our Sponsors

© 2017   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service