I have recently purchased a Yakima Fourtimer.

Knowing that this style of rack nearly always obscures the rego, i also purchased a 'bike rack' rego plate.

There is however no included means to mount said rego plate. Perplexing although not a surprise. Also seems there is no optional Yakima accessory to do this.

The rack is installed below in the '2 bike' format, with 2 bikes hypothetically loaded (rego just leaning on biddon cage)

Any ideas how to mount the rego plate? Im thinking i could just zip-tie to the top/down tube of the rear most bike...crude but effective. Perhaps some sort of bracket clamping over the bottom rail? Either way the plate needs some sort of holder, if these things exist.

Also looking from behind it is not unrealistic to say lights are obscured too! Again no optional accessory for lights either.

I see heaps of folks driving with out additional rear lights and some without rego plates. Am i being overly conservative here or are the plod onto such things?

$100 more for a Thule would have had lights & plate mount standard!

Views: 233

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Check out Torpedo 7.

They used to have a light and plate accessory that plugs into tow bar electrical plug.

It has velcro straps.

Just checked them out and i would be easier and cheaper to get a Rhino one locally.

Personally I would look at the lower section of your rack and see how a removable mounting could be fitted to that. Find a piece of aluminium plate big enough for the number plate and a stop/tail/plate lamp assembly, complete with a cord and trailer plug. An auto electrician cloud surely knock something up for you if you're not comfortable with wiring. Winter will be here before you know it and a non illuminated plate will attract attention.

Yep that's what im thinking. Was looking at some U-bolts to clamp off that lower bar and knock u some form of brackets to accept a light board. That way it will all be legit: brake & indicators, nice neat rego mount and illumination light.

Probably buy one of the shelf. Likely end up cheaper than me DIYing one.

If I bought that rack and found it had those issues once I set it up, I would consider it to be unfit for purpose and take it back to the retailer for a refund. If the retailer didn't kick up a fuss, I would buy the more fully featured replacement from them.

I note that Thule make a light board which has holes for straps to attach it to the outermost bike. The RRP of $145 is only just over a third of the expiation fee for not indicating.

2 points you can get fined for:

1/  display of number plate made by SA rego   ...its like a $300 fine for obscuring it.

2/  not having a light to illuminate the number plate if transporting during 'dark' time of day.
     another few hundred fine I think.

I was pulled over a few years when I had one of those SARIS 'strap it to your boot' carriers and
the cop informed me this inquiry was his exact info area, he was pretty good an gave me an info update / warning instead of potentially up to $600 approx total in fines.

I think the law actually states the rego plate needs to be permanently attached to the rack (screws),
but from what I have seen police are only concerned you are displaying an official rego plate and that it has
illumination on it (if driving after dark).

lightboards go for $120- 180 depending on who makes them, I bought one and it was a pig to affix to a
'hanging type bike rack'...ie I had to buy tie down straps from bunnings and strap the heavy /cumbersome light board
to the last bike...

or you can buy just a compact light /number plate holder for approx $50.00,  if it has the wrong connection, 
you can buy an adaptor lead from supercheap/autobarn for an extra $30.00

only 1 place I could find was this, everything else was full width of the car and really suck to attach to your bike rack.

https://www.velogear.com.au/bicycle-accessories/car-racks/bike-rack...

just take your light with its plug into the store and ask them to check the lead they are selling you is correct

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/SCA-Trailer-Adaptor-7-Pin-...

oops... ten working days to get Bike carrier number plates now..  Could have sworn a few years ago it was like 4 days max

Picked up a Rhino for $100 from Roof Rack City. They really seemed to know their stuff and carry quality product.

https://roofracksa.com.au/shop/rbca011-rhino-rack-number-plate-holder/

Just need to rig up a some form of bracket to mount it securely to the rack, as opposed to zip-tying to the rear bike.

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2018   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service