Tram extension forces closure of King William St and North Tce intersection
Published by ABC News on 31-Dec-2017
www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-31/sa-transport-department-defends-major-intersection-closure/9295488
Closed to buses and cars from 1-Jan-2018 10.00pm to 15-Jan-2018 6.00am.

Buses that used King William Rd, North Adelaide, and King William St, Adelaide, are diverting to Morphett St and Pulteney St. A lot of buses, so please be careful when riding in these two streets, especially at sharp corners around the squares.
I do not know what choices private drivers are making.
In Grenfell St today I counted 18 vehicles incorrectly in the bus lane, to the frustration of some bus drivers. The private drivers did not budge when bus horns sounded.

Views: 375

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In the world of rail infrastructure, the way it goes is that you plan the services and then build the infrastructure you need for it.

If you build stuff you don't need, you end up with a white elephant and a maintenance bill. 

Modern light rail systems work on having uncomplicated service patterns running at a high frequency, rather than a whole swag of different 'direct' routes which each run only a couple of times per hour. It will actually be faster to get to the East End by changing trams at the Adelaide Railway Station tram stop than to have a split timetable.

By releasing the timetable, people could start to picture in their mind how it could work for them and gain some confidence in the system. People like to be sunflowers, not mushrooms.

An Adelaide local tram service might include Victoria Square as well as the East End, linking to the Railway Station or even the nRAH. The layout would suit a tram running from east to west, south, north, east in continuous looping service.

Anyway, the current layout means that tram traffic in front of Parliament House is multiplied making it look busier than it is. Something for the pollies to admire and point out to visiting dignitaries. We'll find out soon enough.

Dave, are you implying a demand study was done and would show there to be no demand for a RH turn from KW to Nth Tce?

Aren't government(s) in the game of "build it and they'll come, and if they don't who cares about wasted tax $"?

Knowing the light rail systems of several major Euro cities, I agree that high frequency is a key to success, but these cities all have 'a whole swag of different direct routes'.

- Antwerp: 14 lines, 117km route, (couldn't find amount of stops, but I counted 12 lines that pass through central station)

- Brussels: 17 lines, 140km route, (+ metro)

- Paris: 9 lines, 105km route, 186 stops (+ metro: 16 lines, 303 stations, 214km)

- Berlin: 22 lines, 800 stops, 190km route

- Amsterdam: 14 lines, 500 stops, 80km route

- Moscow metro: 50 lines, 207 stations, 180km route

- Vienna: (I like to compare Vienna to ADL, I find them very similar) 30 lines, +1000 stops, 180km route

- Melbourne (don't forget the neighbours...): 24 lines (most go to or through the CBD and share tracks in a complicated service pattern), +1750 stops, 250km track

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2018   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service