Audio Tactile Line Marking (ATLM) Dangerous on Main South Road

ATLM has been installed by Department of Transport, Planning & Infrastructure (DPTI) along the edges of the Main South Rd over Sellicks Hill. ATLMs are raised thermoplastic bars around 150mm long laid just outside the edge of lane line(fog line) exactly where a cyclist rides. The bars shake a bike considerably when you ride over them, quite sufficiently to cause possible loss of control if done at speed, especially when wet. Riding over them is definitely to be avoided. In some areas there is a rideable shoulder to the left of the ATLMs but in other places the shoulder is only 150mm or less. To ride the road there are many places where you need to ride within the marked traffic lane & cross the ATLMs to get back to the shoulder. DPTI's own standards state "Minimum criteria for edge line ATLM: Sealed shoulder shall be no less than 0.5m wide" See DTPI Pavement Marking Manual page C78. I feel that even this width of shoulder would be inadequate. Around 0.8m wide outside the ATLMs of clean smooth pavement should be the minimum. The ATLMs would then even provide cyclists some protection to ride on the shoulder.
    The Main South Road is designated a cycling corridor, Sellicks Hill is the only way to cycle south from the Aldinga, Maslins, Moana region unless you go inland to Willunga Hill. The BikeSA Coast to Coast goes over Sellicks Hill.  DTPI have successfully made Fleurieu cycling more dangerous, continuing what seems like a deliberate policy of discouraging road cycling by Local & State Government. No wonder riders are cycling less.

Views: 282

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All good, important to let them know. I have had good experienced with DPTI facebook messenger in the past, I never used to get a response from the normal online form.

Thanks for a good suggestion Rob.
Had a look & found the DPTI facebook page where I selected posts to get
https://www.facebook.com/pg/DPTISA/posts/?ref=page_internal
I posted slightly modified version of my first post in this discussion.
Couldn't find it for a bit but then it appeared in visitor posts without the pic.
Looked around & then found "Message" & did another here.
Will await a response. :-)
Are still awaiting a response forSAPOL traffic complaint re pic in my 1st post.

RSS

MidSeason wk20 - 120x600

Support our Sponsors

© 2017   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service